Thursday, January 26, 2012

Diesel Tank Nightmares


That bucket beside me is full of two gallons of crap that I scraped out of the fuel tank

We have been plugging along over the last few days. I had held out hope that I could repair and save the fuel tank but after spending two days emptying and scrubbing it out I have found that it is just too pitted to want to try and repair. I am going to have to cut it out and get another built. I'll lose some capacity, from 90 gallons to about 65 but it is quicker and easier than tearing out all the cabinets to try and gain the last 25 gallons. We will just have to deal with carrying a little extra on deck for the longer treks. Dave put me in touch with a welder and it sounds like it'll cost me around 5000 pesos, about $400. Not too bad really but a hundred at a time has really been adding up. I cant wait to be out of this marina and on the hook.


This is the only zinc I had left on the hull


Pancho came back today to finish putting zincs on for me but was short one so he'll be back tomorrow. I'll try and get a picture. He is a real character. Sixty three and still working six days a week cleaning bottoms and changing zincs. He is missing two fingers right down into his left hand, I told Alora that the croc in the marina got him. Pancho cant always be lucky.
Adding new meaning to "water hazzard" at the golf course next to the marina

No comments:

Post a Comment